Last week saw the most fun bar awards in the country take place at Bunny Jackson’s in Manchester…
Award ceremonies can be dull affairs, an accusation that cannot be levelled at the Manchester’s Bar Awards. For anyone reading this who has been to Bunny Jackson’s (and if you haven’t it’s time to add another New Years resolution to your list) you will have a good idea of the sort of night you can expect.
The evening kicked off with the absolutely superb Bunny Jackson’s House Band getting the room hyped as the tireless bar team made sure the drinks were flowing. Kicking off with a rework of Escape (The Pina Colada Song) and then keeping BarLifeUK happy with one of the best covers of Prince’s Kiss we have ever heard. By the time the awards were ready to kick off everyone was certainly in the mood. The stage was occupied by the man behind the awards Nate Booker and hosts Adam Binnersley and Joey Butcher and we were off.
Each award nominee announced was greeted by huge cheers from their friends and colleagues, with winners being mobbed by hugs enroute to their award collection. Even with all the happiness and joy in the room there was one man who was definitely having the best night, someone had given Marky access to the button that set of the giant confetti cannons. From Binnersley’s WSET gag to Proudfoot’s text when he couldn’t be there, it was a night of laughs and a suitable celebration of one of the world’s greatest bar cities.
As Nate put it: “It was so fantastic to see so many faces from across the Manchester hospitality scene together in one room and to have the chance to recognise the talent and successes of the community. And we couldn’t have done it without our amazing sponsors and Bunny Jackson’s (I am particularly sorry to any staff member that has to clean up the mess from ten confetti cannons). To all those nominated throughout the process, those in the short list and the winners we want to say a massive well done and keep pushing this amazing scene! Onwards and upwards, togethers.”
It should also be said (because he won’t) a huge congratulations to Nate who continues to put in a lot of hard work to make these awards happen each year.
Here’s a full list of the winners:
- Bar Back of the Year sponsored by Belle de Brillet – Sid Curry, Sherlock’s
- Front of House Hero sponsored by Cazcabel – Alex Proudfoot, Wolf at the Door
- Speciality Venue of the Year sponsored by Tipples – Mulligan’s, Guinness
- Best Restaurant/Food Concept sponsored by Tito’s Vodka – Salt & Pepper
- Manchester’s Rising Star sponsored by Old J – Reah Owen, Project Halcyon
- Best New Bar sponsored by Ford’s Gin – Project Halcyon
- Outstanding Achievement sponsored by Jagermeister Cold Brew – The Schofield Brothers
- Bartender of the Year sponsored by Angel’s Envy Bourbon – Conor Knowles, Schofield’s
- Bartenders Choice, Bar of the Year sponsored by Jameson Irish Whiskey – Schofield’s
- The Official Syrup & Liqueur Partner – MONIN
- The Official Mixer & Softs Partner – Fever
- The Official Hooch of the MBAs – Hooch
- The Official Media Partner – The Manc
- The Official Reception Drink of the MBAs – Buzzball
- The Official NOLO Partner – Lyre’s
- The Official Hydration Partner – Marlish Water
- The Awards Partner – Urban Bar
- Our Official Florist & Anarchist Literature sponsor – Bud and Pot