Category Nomination Window: 10th May – 2nd June, 2021
Tales of the Cocktail have opened nominations for the 2021 Spirited Awards, and as you might imagine after 18 months of pandemic lockdown, the categories look different to previous years. The 2021 awards have no ‘best bar’ or ‘best bartender’ categories, and instead focus on mentorship and writing:
- Pioneer Award
- Best Cocktail & Spirits Publication
- Best Cocktail & Spirits Writing
- Best New Cocktail or Bartending Book
- Best New Book on Drinks Culture, History or Spirits
- Best Broadcast, Podcast or Online Video Series
- Helen David Lifetime Achievement Award
- Timeless U.S. Award
- Timeless International Award
Members of the trade can make nominations in the writing categories, and the Pioneer Award, which this year is perhaps of particular import. This is the Pioneer Award selection criteria:
“The Pioneer Award Winner is an individual who has made unique and lasting contributions to the accessibility and intersectionality of the global drinks community; shaped the beverage landscape and provide visible models of achievement for tomorrow’s leaders; served as a leader and mentor.“
That sounds a lot like Tom Estes, doesn’t it?
You can find all of the category criteria and nomination links on the Spirited Awards website.