The cynic in BarLifeUK wonders if the biggest trend surrounding mindful drinking is that of brands scrambling to make money out of it. The low-and-no alcohol spirit sector is growing faster than a bored rich bloke can say ‘I’m launching a small batch gin’, and as with any market, the liquids on offer vary in quality.
Bartenders who wish to learn more about no-alcohol spirits, and taste as many as possible in order to sort the wheat from the chaff, will be interested to hear that 13 botanical, alcohol-free distillates will be on show at the Mindful Drinking Festival at Spitalfields Market later this month. In addition, a range of zero – 0.5% ABV beers, ciders, wines, and ‘adult soft drinks’ will also be available to sample.
Entry is free, and will be open between 11:00 and 17:00 on Saturday July 20th.
No-alcohol spirits on show include:
- CEDER’S is a distilled non-alcoholic alt-gin made with classic gin and exotic South African botanicals and available in three variants, all juniper based.
- Caleño is inspired by founder Ellie’s Colombian family roots.
- The Bitter Note, all the intense and unique flavour of the traditional ‘Amaro Italiano’ with none of the alcohol.
- Sea Arch is made by Geoff and Sarah, who run a pub in Torquay, and contains sea kelp.
- Senser Spirits is being launched at the festival and the world’s first range of botanically-active, alcohol-free PLANT SPIRITS™ .
- Borrago was developed by Tom Tuke-Hastings and named after the borage – a bright blue edible flower.
- Everleaf, a non-alcoholic aperitif that can be mixed with soda or tonic in a Spritz, used in cocktails, or even just drunk straight on the rocks.
- Peak Zero Proof is an alcohol-free cordial which when used as gin makes an alcohol free G&T which only has 6 calories in a measure.
- Silk Tree Botanics comes from Dublin, Ireland.
- Teetotal GnT is made in Skipton, Yorkshire.
- Xachoh – another new launch, authentically distilled using only premium purposeful Silk Road herbs and spices to traditional recipes.
- Stryyk – also new to the festival this summer, offering three expressions; NOT VODKA, NOT GIN and NOT RUM.
- Atopia is the first ultra-low alcohol spirit from family distillers William Grant & Sons. At just 0.5% ABV, Atopia is now available nationwide at Sainsbury’s and Ocado.
More Mindful Drinking Festival information can be found on the event’s website.
Images courtesy of Club Soda