2016 Monin Cup Open For Entries
The biennial Monin Cup, which recognises and promotes young bartender talent, is back for 2016.
We are big fans of any initiative that supports the huge levels of young talent in our industry, and as such are big fans of the Monin Cup. It is open to bartenders aged 18-27 from across the UK with previous finalists including Alastair Frasier, Joe Macbeth, Andy Mil, Tom Walker, Robin Honhold, Leon Dalloway, 2012 winner William Humphrey and 2014 winner Joe Wild.
The heats will take place across the country in September before a winner is crowned at London Cocktail Week to represent the UK at the global final in Paris on 5th December.
Monin has been around a lot longer than you may think (it was certainly longer than we thought) with their premium syrups being made at its headquarters in Bourges, France since 1912. Nowadays the Monin range has expanded to include syrups, sauces, smoothies, fruit purees, liqueurs and frappe powders which are seen in bars in over 100 countries worldwide creating cocktails and, the rapidly expanding category of, mocktails.
For your chance to win a trip to Paris and compete in the global final you will be required to create two signature cocktails – one alcoholic and one non-alcoholic. The drinks will be judged on creativity, originality/innovation, appearance and flavour.
Those that qualify for the final from the regional heats will all get this lovely couple of days package. Travel to London, one night stay in a hotel, a personal masterclass from Peter Dorelli, attend London Cocktail Week masterclasses and a bar tour of London Cocktail Week venues.
On top of all that Monin will cover your travel costs for getting to the heats. Once you are picked the comp (travel at least) won’t cost you a penny.
There are of course a few more rules than that, which look a lot like this:
- Competitors will need to create 2 of each of their recipes, so 4 drinks in total. One drink for the judges and one drink for photography and guests to try
- Monin will provide all Monin products, ice, and a basic selection of fruit. Competitors must be prepared to bring all other ingredients required for their recipes
- Monin will provide basic glassware and cocktail equipment, any specialist equipment must be brought by the competitor
- Competitors must use Monin products over other brands where applicable. For example, Monin Triple Sec Liqueur should be used instead of Cointreau
- The content of alcohol should not exceed 70ml in any recipe
- Recipes should include at least 10ml of Monin product for the alcoholic recipes, and at least 20ml of Monin product for the non-alcoholic recipes
- At least 1 Monin product to be used in each recipe
- Homemade ingredients are not permitted
- Each recipe should contain no more than 7 ingredients
- Judges will be assessing; the creativity and innovation of the recipes, the visual appearance and garnish, the aroma, taste and balance of the drink, the technical skills of the bartender, and the use of Monin products in the recipe
Regional Heat Dates and Cities – travel costs will be covered.
- Monday 5th September – Leeds and the North
- Monday 12th September – Birmingham and the South
- Monday 19th September – London
So if you are a talented young bartender (or have one in your team) and want to make your mark on this industry with a competition designed just for you then simply enter in the form below and who knows, on December 5th you could be raising a trophy above your head to a room full of applause in Paris (there will also be some fancy bar equipment for the winner, more news when we have it). Entry deadline is Friday 16th September.
If you have any issues with the entry form please email email@example.com