UK bartenders have until midnight on Sunday 8th November to submit their entry for World Class 2016’s first burst of activity.
Diageo World Class is now open to entries. Burst one has been named ‘Mindful Drinking’ and invites bartenders to design a cocktail using Talisker, Singleton, Cardhu, Zacapa, Johnnie Walker Gold Label and Blue Label, Haig Club or Bulleit Bourbon and Rye.
‘Mindful Drinking’ challenges bartenders to come up with a fresh take on the aperitif or digestif, inspired by the growing demand for drinks that are lighter in style, alcohol content and sugar.
Once you have picked your spirit, create a cocktail that:
- Is an aperitif or digestif
- Has a minimum of 20ml and a maximum 35ml measure of the base spirit.
- Uses lower-alcohol options like wine, champagne, beer, cider, sherry, vermouth, port, Madeira, amaro, grappa, herbal liqueurs, aquavit, coffee and bitters.
- Brings seasonal flavours of autumn and winter into play.
- Creates customer involvement by being fun and interactive.
- Uses no more than five ingredients in total – and garnishes, foams, smoke, essences plus other external elements don’t count as an ingredient.
- Has a maximum of two homemade ingredients out of the five in total. However, you have great flexibility on using homemade elements and you can infuse the accompanying ingredients as well as the base spirit.
Once your recipe is ready, visit the World Class website to submit it: www.theworldclassclub.com.
The judges, including Diageo Reserve World Class Brand Ambassador, Dan Dove, will whittle entries in each burst down to 50 – to become five in both of the semi-final events, due to take place in December and May.