Sunday 7th August saw Chester celebrate, enjoy and embrace the first annual C.U.B.As – Chester’s Ultimate Bar Awards.
A mere concept a few months ago, myself and Ryan Williams sat talking after a cocktail competition, discussing Chester’s commitment and passion to the bar industry.
We realised that we have so many talented bar tenders and fantastic bars to drink in, we should tell them how fantastic they are by awarding them. Under the guise of our company, the Cocktail & Spirits Initiative, we set about creating an awards show for bartenders, by bartenders.
The support that we had from the brands was incredible. The support we had from Oddfellows, the host bar for the evening was outstanding. The support of Chester’s bar community turning up in full force was touching.
A room full of people each there to show support for one another, to praise the hard working, the creative and the passionate.
One of the major highlights of the event was our Havana Club Mojito Garden. On the sun-kissed terrace was an adventure in drink. All around the terrace were pots of different flavoured mint plants; pineapple mint, basil mint, apple mint to name but a few. Guests were invited to pick their own mint, choose from a selection of
Monin syrups, fruits and spices and hand it to either Dan or Selina behind the bar who would create a bespoke Havana 3 Mojito for them.
The awards went smoothly, I managed to curb my usual ability to put swear words in to sentences where swear words have never been before, I reduced my waffling and gesticulation to a minimum and I stayed sober…
Then once the awards had been handed out and the party started, I did everything listed above to the extreme…
All in all, a huge success and one of the greatest parties Chester has ever seen. Next years event will be held at a larger venue, so I encourage you to come join us… There’s more to us than Apple Juice and bad Mum jokes, I promise.
Winners from the CUBAs 2011 in assosciation with Havana Club:
- Bar of the Year sponsored by Jameson: Amber Lounge
- Restaurant of Year sponsored by Mumm Champagne: Hickory’s
- Best Service sponsored by Matthew Clark: Bar Lounge
- Fun Time Bar Award sponsored Hacienda de Chihuahua Tequila: Marlborough Arms
- Cocktail Encyclopedia Award sponsored by Hi-Spirits: Urcino Hernandez
- Best Back Bar sponsored by Chester Whisky & Liqueur Shop: Red Door
- Best Beer Selection sponsored by Cusquena: Marlborough Arms
- Family Friendly Award sponsored by My Gineration: The Ship Inn
- Mixologist of the Year sponsored by Tapatio Tequila: Li Armitstead
- Rising Star Award sponsored by Evan Williams in conjunction with Monin: Adam Bearcroft
- Bartender of the Year sponsored by Grand Marnier in conjunction with BarLifeUK: Dan O’Reilly
- Lifetime Achievement Award sponsored by Mangrove: Rick Warrier
A huge congratulations to all of our winners and a massive thank you to all of the sponsors.