Gaz Regan’s 101 Best New Cocktails – Rum ‘n’ Raisin
Gaz shares his ‘101 Best New Cocktails’ with us, which will ultimately appear in his 2011 Manual for Bartenders.
Rum ’n’ Raisin
Adapted from a recipe by Paul Lambert, SABA, Dublin, Ireland.
“The wonderful rich fruit notes in the sherry complement the dried fruit notes in the rum. The sherry influence in the whisky also contributes to the aroma. A simple twist on the daiquiri and a tribute to the favourite ice cream of the 1980s . . . enjoy!” – Paul Lambert
- 15ml (.5 oz) Fresh lime juice
- 2 Barspoons caster sugar (sold as superfine sugar in the land of ounces)
- 50ml (1.65 oz) Bacardi Superior rum
- 10 ml (.33 oz) Pedro Ximenez sherry
- Auchentoshan Three Wood scotch whisky, in a mister
- 3 Raisins, as garnish
Squeeze the lime juice into a shaker, then add the sugar and stir. Add the rum and sherry. Add ice and shake hard. Double strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Spray with the scotch three times, then add the garnish.
The rum and sherry work well in this drink, but it’s the misting of the Auchentoshan that brings glory to this drink. That’s a very nice move, indeed.